Anjali is a professional-standard company of dancers with learning disabilities based in north Oxfordshire. The company has been in existence for 25 years and creates and tours original dance performances in the UK and internationally. Anjali’s dancers have performed at venues including the Royal Festival Hall, The Place and the Royal Opera House in London, and internationally in Mexico City, Lisbon, Madrid and Berlin. The company has been highly praised by dance critics and is regarded as a trailblazer in working in dance with people with learning disabilities.
Anjali Dance Company seeks a pro-active and responsible freelance Company Assistant, with excellent communication skills, to join the company in rehearsals and on tour, supporting the team to present their work to the highest standard.
As part of an experienced and committed team, the Company Assistant will lead on supporting the six Anjali dancers on tour. Working closely with the Artistic Director and Rehearsal Director, the role would suit those looking to gain experience of touring dance and/or working with people with learning disabilities. This is an exciting, varied and rewarding role for which full training will be given.
Specific areas of work will include:
- Through formal and informal meetings, written and verbal communication, ensure the dancers, their parents and carers, receive and act on up-to-date scheduling information
- Liaise with the Administrator regarding the development of tour schedules and feed back useful experiences to help improve future touring arrangements
- Travel with the dancers and Artistic Director to and from all tour venues
- Alongside the Artistic Director, support the dancers on tour, including settling into hotels, familiarisation at venues, and accompany them to rehearsals and meals
- On performance days, work with the dancers to set-up backstage and assist with make-up, costumes and props during performances
- Work with the team to ensure that all rehearsal spaces are kept clean, safe and secure, and to prepare and store costumes, props and studio spaces ahead of rehearsals and performances
- Ensure that the dancers have access to any materials or resources they require for training and rehearsals (eg. film, music, feedback), creating and saving these resources as appropriate and assisting the dancers with written reflections as required
- Work with the team to resolve any transport and accommodation issues that arise on tour
- Work with the Administrator on the monitoring and evaluation of audiences and participants, including distributing and collating audience surveys and feedback
- Work in accordance to Anjali’s policies and procedures, with particular reference to safeguarding and health & safety
- Assist the Artistic Director and Associate Producer with other tasks as required, and as relates to the overall aim of the post
The contract is for approximately 40 days from May-November 2019 (the majority of touring will be September-November, schedule available on request).
Rehearsals are held in Banbury, Oxfordshire (within walking distance of the train station); touring is across the UK.
£100-125 / day dependent on experience. This is a fixed-term freelance contract and those undertaking it are responsible for paying their own NI and tax.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to build positive and effective working relationships with a small, diverse team
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to work with complex schedules
- A calm temperament
- A positive, can-do attitude, willing to take initiative
- Ability to work flexibly and away from home, in response to touring demands
- Confident using public transport and navigating around cities away from home
- Good time-keeping
- Experience working with performance
- Experience working people with learning disabilities, or relevant personal experience
- Leadership skills
- Driving licence and use of a vehicle
To apply, please send a letter of application outlining your interest and relevant experience and availability, together with a CV, to Nicole Thomson, Artistic Director, Anjali Dance Company: firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 17 May 2019. If you have any questions about the role please contact Nicole by email or phone 01295 251909 (office days are usually Thursdays and Fridays).
We regret that we will not be able to respond individually to all applicants.
The role will be subject to a DBS check. Anjali Dance Company is an equal opportunities employer.