Anjali is a professional-standard company of dancers with learning disabilities based in north Oxfordshire. The company has been in existence for 25 years and creates and tours original dance performances in the UK and internationally. Anjali’s dancers have performed at venues including the Royal Festival Hall, The Place and the Royal Opera House in London, and internationally in Mexico City, Lisbon, Madrid and Berlin. The company has been highly praised by dance critics and is regarded as a trailblazer in working in dance with people with learning disabilities.
Anjali Dance Company is seeking to appoint a Technical Manager to work on the creation and touring of a new dance theatre double bill, Genius. Genius includes new performance works choreographed by Lea Anderson and Gary Clarke. It will be accompanied by bespoke residencies and will tour to mainstream venues throughout the UK and internationally in autumn 2017.
The Technical Manager will work with the Artistic Director and creative team to support the realisation of the work and ensure tour-readiness for a national tour of 11 small and mid-scale venues and a possible Mexico tour in autumn 2017. The Technical Manager will then tour with the company, working with partner venues to ensure high production values for performances and timely get-in/get-outs.
Specific areas of work will be:
- Liaising with the creative team to ensure that all elements of the show can be delivered at our partner venues, including negotiating amendments where required
- Advising on sound set-up
- Learning the lighting and sound operation and cues during the Production week and operating these on tour in collaboration with venue technical staff
- Attending Production meetings and working with the Associate Producer to co-ordinate any production-related purchases and actions
- Liaising with venue production/technical staff to prepare for each tour engagement
- Liaising with the Genius Assistant Producer on scheduling and logistics
- Producing all plans and documentation required for touring
- Working with the tour venues on get-ins, performances and get-outs
- Ensuring the safe transit of any costume and set items. Advising and supporting on any maintenance issues
- Working with the Artistic Director and Rehearsal Director on tour to ensure that the show is presented at its best at each venue
- Producing tour reports
Creative period: May – July 2017
Production week: w/c 4 September 2017
Touring: September – December 2017 (full schedule available on request)
Additional future work is likely.
The Technical Manager can work from home or at the company’s office in north Oxfordshire. There will be regular contact with the Artistic Director, Nicole Thomson, at Anjali’s Oxfordshire office and with the Producer, Ceri Brierley, who is based in Leeds. Rehearsals will take place in London and Oxfordshire. Touring will be within the UK and possibly in Mexico (tbc).
Dependent on experience and number of days worked, in the region of £175 per day. This is a freelance contract and those undertaking it are responsible for paying their own NI and tax.
- Significant relevant experience
- Ability to work remotely and build good relationships with a diverse creative team
- Experience of presenting and touring performance work to small and mid-scale venues in the UK
- Experience of working with artists to realise new productions and ensure that the show can tour effectively to venues with a range of sizes and facilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Based in London, Oxfordshire or surrounding areas
- Experience of working with artists with learning disabilities
- Experience of working with dance
- Driving licence and use of a vehicle
If you are interested in discussing this role, please send a letter of application outlining your interest and relevant experience, your availability and preferred working hours/location, together with a CV, to Nicole Thomson, Artistic Director, Anjali Dance Company: firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 28 April 2017.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Ceri Brierley, Associate Producer, Anjali Dance Company: email@example.com.
We regret that we will not be able to respond individually to all applicants.
The role will be subject to a DBS check. Anjali Dance Company is an equal opportunities employer.